National Legislative Update
From UFCW Legislative Department, 2/1/17: Breaking News... · Reps. Joe Wilson (R- SC) and Steve King (R- IA) introduced a national Work for Less bill today. The bill, which the co-sponsors are calling the “National Right to Work Act” would allow employees in union workplaces in all 50 states to benefit from the contracts negotiated by the union and pay no dues. In addition, unions will be required to represent free-riders in grievances and negotiations. The bill makes it an unfair labor practice to enforce union security clauses by attempting to force workers to join the union or pay equivalent amounts or lose their jobs. In their press release, Rep. King and Rep. Wilson claimed that “80% of Americans” were opposed to “forced dues.”· Donald Trump picks Neil Gorsuch- an appeals court judge from Colorado- for the Supreme Court. Democrats are considering backing down on an all-out fight for what some are calling a “stolen seat.” Some important facts on Gorsuch:o He consistently favors corporations over working families.o In an editorial he once wrote, he attacked liberals for using the court to advance policy.o He shares former Justice Scalia’s “philosophy and style”.· Sen. Jeff Sessions was confirmed by Senate Judiciary committee today, 11-9 along party lines. The vote today came after a Democratic boycott of the vote yesterday.· Two draft memos recently released indicate that Trump administration is not finished reshaping immigration practices. looking to ban all immigrants who may need public assistance upon arrival, while potentially deport immigrants who receive food stamps, Medicaid, or welfare. The second memo revisits the visa system. These executive orders are expected today or tomorrow.· Republican Senators Susan Collins of Maine and Lisa Murkowski of Alaska both will vote against the confirmation of Betsy DeVos for Secretary of Education. More News from the Capitol
- Andrew Puzder- Tump’s nominee for Labor Secretary- has been delayed for a fourth time, claiming paperwork delays.
- Democrats on the Senate Finance Committee boycotted yesterday’s committee vote on Rep. Tom Price- Trump’s nomination for Secretary of Health and Human Services, and Steven Mnuchin- Trump’s pick for Secretary of Treasury.
- Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs delayed voting on Rep. Mick Mulvaney- Trump’s nominee for White House budget director. A vote is expected tomorrow.
- Click here for a complete, up to date list of where all of Trump’s nominations are in the confirmation process.
- There will be a nationwide week of action highlighting progressive economic reforms in states around the country the week of February 27th, to correspond with DJT’s speech before a Joint Session of Congress. Several of our Locals are already participating in these actions. If you are interested in learning more about this, please contact Mia Dell at firstname.lastname@example.org. Also, check out the State Innovation Exchange (SIX) website for more information about the organization behind this week of action.