Union Cannabis Jobs in Minnesota Recognize Earth Day Every Day
“Through our partnership with Minnesota Medical Solutions, we’ve shown that cannabis production can be good for the planet, the people who work throughout the industry and patients.
“Local communities should take pride in knowing that the best cannabis professionals in Minnesota are working at a place that grows plants in a responsible and sustainable way.
“Together, we’ve been able to set the environmental standard for cannabis workers in our state and provide people with the better life they’ve earned and deserve.”
Background on Minnesota Medical Solutions’ environmental practices:
· All cannabis production incorporates a greenhouse setting that utilizes natural light, significantly reducing energy costs. At traditional indoor growing operations, supplying artificial light can amount to 90 percent of total operating costs.
· All greenhouse spaces are able to remove heat simply with evaporative cooling and fans. No large scale heating and cooling systems, which are common at traditional growing operations, are required.
· Large-scale composting is in place, meaning that all soil and plant matter is re-used rather than thrown away.
· Instead of relying on municipal water, rainwater collection is practiced on-site and all water delivery systems are drip-type to ensure low levels of waste.
· Pest control comes from beneficial insects and companion plants – never pesticides.
· Plant nutrient and fertilizer mixes are created on-site to increase efficiency and avoid needless additions in the growing process.
UFCW Local 1189 and UFCW Local 653 released the following statement about how their work with the Cannabis Workers Rising campaign and Minnesota Medical Solutions, the only union cannabis shop in Minnesota, has led to environmentally friendly cannabis production.
The UFCW is the largest private sector union in the United States, representing 1.3 million professionals and their families in grocery stores, meatpacking, food processing, retail shops, cannabis and other industries.
We represent tens of thousands of cannabis workers across multiple states. UFCW members in the legal cannabis industry work in growing and cultivating facilities, manufacturing and processing facilities, and also in laboratories and dispensaries.
Learn more about the UFCW at www.ufcw.org