Whole Foods Co-Op Negotiations Update
The Union and Employer have met twice to date on 3/27 and 3/31/2020. Below is a list of items which have been agreed to tentatively as well as a list of items still open. Remember, these are only tentative agreements. No contract changes will take place until negotiations are complete and a majority of votes by Union members are cast to approve the new contract. The Union bargaining committee consists of Morgan Pirsig, Sue Boorsma, Kelly Leingang, Robert Kajer, Brittany Fanaselle.
- Article 1 Union Security: The parties agree to remove finance employees from the “exclusions” as there are now finance employees in the bargaining unit.
- Article 4.1 Pay Period/Pay Day: The parties agree to remove the first sentence as it is no longer applicable.
- Article 10 Vacancies: The parties agree to add language allowing the Employer to simultaneously advertise job openings to the public while posting internally. The Employer will still wait 7 days and interview from within. This gives them a head start on locating an external candidate in case no one applies or qualifies internally.
- Article 16 Discipline and Discharge: The parties agree to add the following sentence next to the signature line of corrective action forms “My signature only acknowledges receipt of this corrective action, not necessarily agreement with the action.” The parties agree that the Employer will send all disciplines to the Union within 3 business days.
- Article 13 Time Off: The parties agree to change the wording to allow the Employer to use a different system other than a written form for members to make time off requests.
- Article 19: The parties agree to change the word “may” to “shall” in regards to issuing a response to grievances within 15 days and some minor language changes to the article regarding scheduling a step one meeting and scheduling mediation.
- Article 31 Technological Changes: The parties agree to meet on any technological changes that may affect members' jobs and to allow training if needed when changes in technology affect current jobs or create new ones.
- New Language: The parties also agree to add language stating that “The Employer will comply with the City’s Earned Sick and Safe Time (“ESST”) Ordinance, as amended, and will apply its ESST policy to all employees covered under this Agreement.”
- LOA Board Meetings: The parties agree to change the annual presentation to the Co-op Board of Directors to January, with the exception of 2020 which will be in August.
- Clean Up: The parties have agreed to remove two Letters of agreement (LOA) that are no longer applicable.
- All economics are still open including any wage scales, raises, benefits and vacation/PTO.
- Summer Help: The Employer has proposed temporary summer help language. The Union has countered. This item is still being discussed.
- The Employer has proposed language to help with scheduling for inventory. This item is being discussed.
- The Union has rejected two proposals by the Employer for changes to the “Leave of Absence” language under Article 15.
- The Union has rejected one proposal by the Employer for changes to the “Time Off” language in Article 13.
- The Employer has made a proposal to add “Financial Coordinator” under group 3 of the contract. This item is being discussed further.
- The Employer proposed changes to the Holidays language for personal holidays. This is being held for economics as the Union has a counter proposal.
- The Employer proposed a 3-year agreement. The Union is waiting for economics before agreeing to the term of the contract.
We will continue to update you through the process. If you have questions please contact Union Representative Bruce Bergh.