Cannabis for Businesses


More information for small Cannabis Business owners on Labor Peace Agreements and Union Representation


UFCW Local 1189 is proud to be the Union representing Minnesota’s cannabis workers. We are a major stakeholder in Minnesota’s medical and adult recreational use cannabis industry, representing hundreds of workers and investing greatly in legislative initiatives that create a strong and sustainable cannabis industry in the State.  

Minnesota’s Adult recreational use bill requires that a license applicant must enter into a labor peace agreement (LPA) with a bona-fide labor organization. Any business applying for a license under the law must have a signed LPA in place in order to be considered for a license and must maintain an LPA as an ongoing condition of licensure.

To comply with Minnesota State law, we have crafted a standard LPA document that satisfies the goals of the statute, including:

  • Terms prohibiting labor organizations and members from engaging in picketing, work stoppages, boycotts, and any other economic interference with the entity,
  • Language ensuring an employer remains neutral toward a unionization campaign in the workplace,
  • Provisions governing access to the workforce by the union to ensure free and open communication without disrupting workers, as well as a card check agreement, which ensures the workers’ choice is respected.

There is no cost for a labor peace agreement.

For more information about entering into a Labor Peace Agreement with Local 1189, please fill out this form and a representative from the Union will contact you to discuss the process shortly.

We are looking forward to connecting with you and working together to build a strong sustainable industry and dedicated workforce!